Monday, May 16, 2011

New stuff, but it will wait

Where is the summer at? It is rainy and crappy and grey all over the place in Vancouver. Have some fun stuff to post but I need some sunshine for photo-taking. My people in Austin, meanwhile, are sweating and swimming in the sunny 90s. Ah well.

Picked up a few things recently. A frame on the cheap, brake levers to feed my Suntour XC habit. Good stuff over the weekend too.

I'll leave you with the brake levers for now, talk more about the other stuff when I get some photos taken. I usually leave stuff like this to gather dust at the UBC Bike Kitchen, but I picked these up for a potential overhaul on the Rocky Mountain and in place of a set of classic Shimano 600 calipers that were seductively super-shiny, but that I otherwise have zero use for. Not starting any more gruppo-hunts, thanks. Anyway, coming away with the Suntour levers instead of a massive new bike project disguised as jewel-like Shimano 600 calipers felt a little like a victory. (Rationalizations...)

Look like late 80's /early 90's Suntour XC -- Comp or Pro, hard to say without the foil stickers but they were basically the same levers unless my research findings are wrong.

Bad in black and all-metal construction with rubberized lever ends. More on these in a few days, because they've got some interesting stuff going on with them, good and bad.